Arizona has been unquestionably one of the best teams in the league when it comes to stopping opposing star wide receivers. This has been a huge surprise so far, this year as many wrote off this defense as a liability. However, it has been the exact opposite.
During weeks 2-7, Arizona allowed less than 20 points per game. As the offense has struggled early on, this defense has kept the majority of games this year within reach.
With a young core, this Cards defense has held some of the league’s best receivers.
- Davante Adams, 2 receptions for 12 yards (Week 2)
- Cooper Kupp, 4 receptions for 44 yards (Week 3)
- DJ Moore, 6 receptions for 50 yards (Week 4)
- A.J. Brown, 3 catches for 32 yards (Week 5)
- DK Metcalf, 2 catches for 34 yards (Week 6)
A peak at next week- Justin Jefferson
With that being said, Arizona’s defense may have their hardest test of the year just around the corner.
As the Cardinals travel to Minnesota for a Week eight matchup, Justin Jefferson looms ahead. Jefferson has been arguably the best wide receiver in the NFL this season, averaging a remarkable 109 yards per game.
Last year, when these two teams faced off against each other, Jefferson caught six passes for 65 yards and a touchdown. Luckily, Arizona managed to escape with a win, only due to a missed game-winning field goal.
If the Cardinals want to bring their record back to even, containing Justin Jefferson will have to be a top priority.
Access Burn+ Premium Content & Behind the Scenes Network
- Burn+ Annual Subscription (Digital and Print) $49.95 / year
- Burn+ Monthly Premium Subscription (Digital) $5.95 / month