Diamond DeShields is a USA basketball team member for the FIBA World Cup in Sydney, Australia. The 2022 FIBA Women’s World Cup runs from Sept 22 until Oct 1. All games will be played in Sydney at multiple venues.
Team USA is in Group A, with Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, China, Puerto Rico, and South Korea. They will play each team once, with two points awarded for a win and one point for a draw. Team USA must finish in the top four of the group to advance to the knockout stage.
- Team USA vs. Belgium | Wednesday, Sept 21, 9:30 p.m. ET | ESPN+
- Team USA vs. Puerto Rico | Thursday, Sept 22, 8:30 p.m. ET | ESPN+
- Team USA vs. China | Saturday, Sept 24, 12:30 a.m. ET | ESPN+
- Team USA vs. South Korea | Monday, Sept. 26, 12 a.m. ET | ESPN+
- Team USA vs. Bosnia and Herzegovina | Wednesday, Sept. 28, 12 a.m. ET | ESPN+
DeShields averaged 13.1 points, 3.8 rebounds, and 2.2 assists per game in her first season with the Mercury. She shot 38% from the field and 23% from beyond the arc in 30 games with Phoenix. DeShields is finally starting to play well after having a tumor on her spinal cord.
DeShields has averaged 13.2 points, 4.2 rebounds, 2.2 assists, and 1.1 steals per game in five years. It is good to see her playing well again and getting a chance to play for Team USA. Although DeShields didn’t make the final 12, she enjoyed to playing for Team USA.
“I’m really enjoying my first trip to Australia.” DeShields said,” I’m really looking forward to having yet another opportunity to compete for a gold medal. GO, USA!”
*Get the BEST Phoenix sports insider information, exclusive content, and access to our seasonal magazines! SIGN UP HERE to unlock our premium content!*
LaMarr Fields is a WNBA Insider, Sports Insider, and breaking news reporter for Burn City Sports. You can follow him on Twitter via @lburncitysports
Access Burn+ Premium Content & Behind the Scenes Network
- Burn+ Annual Subscription (Digital and Print) $49.95 / year
- Burn+ Monthly Premium Subscription (Digital) $5.95 / month